Friendly Reminders for Perfect Dental Care
You’ve been brushing and flossing since before you can remember, so why would you need to brush up on your skills? The fact is that brushing and flossing is such a routine habit that many times proper techniques are not applied—not because you don’t know how, but because, well, you’re busy living your life. That’s when a friendly reminder can come in handy—a little something to bring you back to the basics. It takes just a few minutes each day to maximize your dental care. Use these tips from family dentistry experts to keep your smile shining, no matter where life takes you.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends these techniques to maximize your dental care routine and oral health outcomes:
- Brush often. Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes. If you are able, brush after every meal to minimize bacteria and acid formation that contributes to tooth decay.
- Selecting a toothbrush. Choose a soft-bristled toothbrush that will comfortably fit your mouth. Many experts now recommend electric or battery-operated toothbrushes, which have been shown to reduce plaque and gingivitis better than manual brushing.
- Choosing a toothpaste. You have lots of choices on the market when it comes to toothpaste. Be certain to choose a brand that is approved by the.
- Perfect technique. Divide your mouth in quadrants and focus on each quadrant for 30 seconds, getting the inside, outside, and bottom of the teeth in each area. Hold your toothbrush at a slight angle and brush gently with short back-and-forth motions. Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well.
- Clean your dental care equipment. Following each brushing, rinse your toothbrush thoroughly with water and store in an upright position. Allow the toothbrush to air-dry when possible before your next use. Avoid covering your toothbrush or storing in a closed container, as this can breed bacteria.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly. Regardless if you use a manual or electric toothbrush, your toothbrush should be replaced every three months or when the bristles become worn—whichever comes first.
- Floss daily. There are places that your toothbrush simply can’t reach, making flossing an essential part of any healthy dental care routine.
- Rinse after brushing. Choose a mouthwash to further wash away bacteria and germs that might remain in the mouth after brushing and flossing.
- The order of things. You can brush before you floss or floss before you brush.
- Visit the family dentist. Schedule routine visits to an affordable dentist every six months and adhere to that schedule. Your oral care is a team effort between you and your dentist—you can’t do it alone.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Columbia, call Dental One Associates of Columbia today at (410) 346-2350 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Columbia. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Columbia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Columbia.