Understanding Your Toothpaste Choices
Your dental care choices are important, and one of the most critical is your toothpaste selection. Toothpaste polishes your teeth and cleans away bacteria and plaque that can lead to gingivitis, tooth decay and bad breath. It contains a number of different ingredients that perform various functions. Detergents create foam to help lift food particles and plaque. Mild abrasives polish away stains, and fluoride strengthens teeth and prevents cavities. Different types of toothpaste are designed for different needs, including dental hygiene for kids, so there is no one-size-fits-all formula.
Following is a quick guide to various toothpaste types to help you choose:
- Whitening toothpastes remove stains with mild abrasives or chemicals.
- Fluoride toothpastes strengthen teeth by remineralizing them to counteract the effects of acid. Most commercial toothpastes contain fluoride, and many dentists recommend them for patients without a fluoridated public water supply.
- Tartar-control toothpastes can’t remove tartar, but they can prevent it from accumulating.
- Toothpaste for sensitive teeth creates a barrier to help prevent irritants from reaching sensitive, exposed nerves.
- Natural toothpastes are designed for people who prefer all-natural ingredients to chemicals. They may or may not contain fluoride.
- Children’s toothpastes make dental hygiene for kids more appealing. They usually feature colorful, kid-friendly themes and mild flavors.
Tips for Proper Brushing
To get the most from your toothpaste, you must brush properly:
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush at least twice a day.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle tilted towards your gums.
- Brush for two full minutes, using gentle, circular strokes.
Get a Recommendation from Your Dentist in Columbia
If you need help deciding on a toothpaste brand or type, schedule an appointment with an affordable dentist. After taking a look at your teeth and gums, your dentist in Columbia can determine the type of dental care product that will best meet your needs, and make a recommendation.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Columbia, call Dental One Associates of Columbia today at (410) 346-2350 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Columbia. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Columbia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Columbia.