Why Your Teeth Are Sensitive and How to Cope
Having sensitive teeth and gums is miserable. The discomfort can ruin your enjoyment of foods that are hot, cold, sour, and sweet. Routine dental care activities like brushing and flossing can be painful. In some cases, you may even experience pain when breathing in cold air. Fortunately, understanding the causes and treatments for tooth sensitivity can help you learn to manage and even reverse symptoms. Once you learn how to help sensitive teeth feel better, you can enjoy more activities and foods that might have been off limits before starting treatment.
Common Causes of Sensitive Teeth
- Age can be a factor in tooth sensitivity; most cases occur in people who are between 25 and 30 years old.
- Using tooth-whitening products can irritate exposed tooth roots and dentin.
- Gum disease and associated tooth decay cause a breakdown of enamel. Periodontitis also leads to infection with receding gums. Both may exacerbate the symptoms of sensitive teeth and gums.
- Teeth grinding during sleep can erode enamel and expose underlying dentin over time.
- Damaged teeth may also cause symptoms. A crack or chip in a tooth can expose dentin or become infected and cause nerve inflammation.
- Over-brushing teeth or using hard-bristled toothbrushes can wear down tooth enamel and irritate gums. Sensitive roots may become exposed.
- Some people experience temporary sensitivity after dental procedures.
How to Help Sensitive Teeth
- Use an over-the-counter desensitizing toothpaste.
- Try a fluoride mouthwash.
- Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently.
- Avoid acidic foods and beverages like tea, citrus fruit, and tomatoes.
- Brush and floss every day to keep teeth and gums healthy.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Columbia, call Dental One Associates of Columbia today at (410) 346-2350 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Columbia. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Columbia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Columbia.