Don’t Be the Butt of Stained Teeth from Smoking
Tobacco use and discolored teeth go hand-in-hand. Reach for relief from smoking stains with this helpful guide to a whiter smile.
Smoke out the Truth about Tobacco and Tooth Discoloration
Hundreds of studies have shown the link between smoking and dental staining. People who choose to use tobacco face the discoloration of teeth. To prevent stains from smoking, it’s best to avoid tobacco or quit as soon as possible. See, along with harming your overall health, tobacco causes gum disease and makes your teeth turn yellow or gray. Smoking is clearly an ugly habit that you want to avoid or quit.
Helpful Habits for Preventing Stained Teeth
Despite the dangers of smoking, many people simply refuse to quit. They’d rather risk their overall health and the discoloration of teeth than give up their tobacco. If you’re just not ready to quit, try these helpful tips to reduce the discoloration of teeth from smoking:
- Brush at least twice a day, floss daily, and rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash to prevent stains from building up on teeth.
- Brush your teeth or rinse your mouth after meals and smoking to reduce the stains that lead to tooth discoloration.
- Have professional dental cleanings at least twice a year so dentists can polish away severe stains.
Lighten up Stains with these Tooth-Whitening Treatments
For smokers who think there’s no hope for stained teeth, there are many whitening treatments to brighten up signs of stains. Talk to your dentist about your options, but know that stains will return if you continue to smoke after whitening and you may require additional treatments. Consider these popular options for whitening your smile:
- Professional tooth whitening treatments, which provide the whitest and quickest outcome.
- At-home tooth whitening kits, which can lighten minor stains, but may also make teeth sensitive.
- Over-the-counter whitening toothpastes, which may improve stained teeth and help prevent future staining, but can cause sensitivity.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Columbia, call Dental One Associates of Columbia today at (410) 346-2350 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Columbia. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Columbia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Columbia.