Face Your Fear of the Dentist
If you’re daunted and haunted by going to the dentist, you’re not the only one. This severe fear prevents millions of people from getting the dental care they need, but they ultimately have more pain and problems due to their dental neglect. Luckily, many experts in family dentistry are sensitive to dental fears and have tactics and treatments for soothing the stress.
Approximately 20% of Americans have so much anxiety about going to the dentist that they’ll only go when necessary and nearly 8% will not go at all because they’re so filled with fear, according to the Dental Fears Research Clinic at the University of Washington.
While dental fears are common, they’re also manageable. Family dentistry experts have many ways to ease a patient’s anxiety, so simply tell your dentist in Columbia about your dental fears and see how they can help.
Most people find that dental visits are not nearly as bad as expected, and it’s important to remember that you can get over your anxiety. Here are some hints to help brush away your dental fears.
- Take a Friend Along – Ask a trusted friend with no fear of the dentist to come along for your visit.
- Use Relaxation Techniques – Use calming relaxation techniques like deep breathing and meditation throughout the entire visit.
- Distract Yourself – Listen to music or watch TV during the procedure to distract yourself from the treatment.
- Consider Sedation – If you’re losing sleep about seeing the dentist, consider sleeping through your appointment. There are many different types of sedation, but they all let you get the dental care you need and wake without a worry.
- Discover the Root of Your Dental Fears – If you’re too afraid to even call to make an appointment with a dentist, you may want to see a therapist to help you find the source of your stress.
Remember, you can find a qualified, affordable dentist in Columbia who can help you deal with your dental fears.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Columbia, call Dental One Associates of Columbia today at (410) 346-2350 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Columbia. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Columbia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Columbia.